Life can feel frustrating. Maddening. Insanity-inducing, even. At times, happiness and contentment may seem achievable only in your wildest dreams.
But the best part about being human is the capacity for self-empowerment. You have the ability to change your state of mind and in turn, your entire experience.
In other words, there are ALWAYS options. You’re not stuck or helpless or at the mercy of mercurial forces beyond your control. Fantastic news, right?
As it turns out, the smallest of changes can add up to the biggest of transformations. So, if you want to get happier, here are 50 habits to start implementing, like, yesterday.
1. Slow down.
2. Smile. A lot.
3. Pray. A lot. It’s always a good time to pray!
4. Be thankful. Appreciate everything. You have so many blessings, acknowledging them is the best way to feel happy about your life.
5. Try not to be so negative. Negativity really does have the power to block your blessings. You’ll never know if you don’t try.
6.Use affirmations- Your favorite scriptures. Pick some that resonate with you, and recite them religiously.
7. Keep an open mind. Open minds are happy minds.
8. Vent. Sometimes you just have to let it all out.
9. Exercise. Every day. Walk. Run. Skip. Swim. Play four square. Whatever.
10. Laugh. A lot. Real, authentic laughter.
11. Drink water. As much as you can stomach.
12. Soak up the vitamin D. Sunshine cures many ills.
13. Be afraid. And do it anyway. Fear is the gateway to a stronger you.
14. Sleep well. Make a good night’s sleep a daily priority.
15. Disconnect from technology every now and then. Turn that iPhone off from time to time.
16. Be Optimistic/ Positive.
17. Be obedient to God’s word. This will save you a lot of heartbreak; trust me.
18. Consume happy media. Skip the news — watch positive, life-affirming stuff instead.
19. Talk to strangers. You never know who you might meet.
20. Be kind. Extend kindness as often as possible. Random acts are good.
21. Cultivate compassion. For yourself and all other living things.
22. Live, Laugh, and Love!
23. Forgive. Grudges only lead to bitterness.
24. Identify your destructive thoughts. Then, write a positive script to fight back.
25. Leave your comfort zone behind. Discomfort is a sign of growth.
26. Play. It’s not just for kids — playtime is beneficial for grown-up brains, too.
27. Guard your heart. Don’t settle for less than God’s best.
28. Get minimal. With less junk in your life, there’s more room for what’s important.
29. Eat healthy.
30. Make positive friends. It’s hard to be happy if you’re surrounded by negative people.
31. Give back. Countless good causes could use your help.
32. Sing- Praise- Worship. Music has healing power.
33. Challenge yourself. Growth comes when you push your limits.
34. Pay attention to red flags. Trust your intuition. Sometimes intuition is God’s way of speaking to us. When you feel in your heart that something is wrong, it usually is!
35. Visualize. See yourself with all that you desire, and you’re on your way.
36. Give hugs. Hugs are so underrated. Dole ’em out generously.
37. Work to live. Not the other way around.
38. Look for opportunities to help others. Open your eyes, ears and heart.
39. Don’t compare yourself to others.
40. Count your blessings. You’d be surprised the things people take for granted.
41. Get a hobby. Do things you love. If you don’t know what you love, start exploring.
42. Get a pet. Animals can lower your blood pressure, reduce stress and add to your life in innumerable other ways. Plus, who couldn’t use a little unconditional love?
43. Travel. New places and faces expand your awareness.
44. Set aside “me time” every now and then.
45. Meditation comes in countless variations. Pick one. Even five minutes a day makes a difference.
46. Remind yourself that “God is Good!”- All the time!
47. Take risks.
48. Know when to Let go and Let God. It’s okay to love some people from a distance.
49. Love yourself. Know that you are enough. God didn’t make any mistakes when he made you.
50. Make friends with Mother Nature. She’s got a lot to teach you.
Above all these things, don’t depend on someone else to make you happy. Be your own biggest cheerleader.
And remember… Not everyone is going to be happy about your happiness. Pay more attention to your creator than your critics!